Saturday, January 23, 2010

Moving...Traveling...Again???




Posted by C.Worring

How do we decide when and where to move to? Or, when is the right time to move?  People are inclined to always tell the real reason to why they are moving.  The obvious ones, "we need a bigger place", or " we need to save money". Or I have to relocate because of a job.

But what is the reason really?

Let me tell you a story about a very special person in my life.

This person moved to different countries and cities for over 10 years of his adult life and made it work!

He lived in Central America, Europe and Asia...I mean all over,  Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Germany, Ireland, Spain, Austria ...Turkey and my favorite country, so far, Thailand! He went as a student and he experienced life as he never thought he would!  He learned the language, studied there, worked, lived with the people, learned their respective cultures and developed lasting relationships!

I had friends in High School and College..even Graduate School that did the same, ... all said it was the best experience they have ever had!

I asked him, why travel and move so much? What is so interesting about it?  He said it is the sites of course,...but it is really all about the people!  Knowing and understanding people from all over!  ..."you have to live in the country and live with the people for months and get to know them..."

So this basically concludes the fact that one of the reasons we move, is for comfort and curiosity ...just like the song from the 1980's TV series Cheers, ..."Sometimes you want to go...where everybody knows your name..."We all want to be where we belong and we are welcome!  So, we instinctively choose places where we know, people will accept us.  I am proud to say, there are great people out there!!!

It really does come back to roots!  Family, and good friends.  Traveling all over the world....you do meet the same breed!  Travelers!!  I was a traveler for many years...from backpacking in Australia to hiking the Inca Trail in Peru, riding a camel in Egypt, rafting in Costa Rica, climbing the Great Wall of China..stuck in a snow storm,...in Minnesota....and much more....  But I did not stay for more than two weeks.  Yes, I met people along the way, but I met the travelers not the locals!

But what my real passion with traveling is really understanding and knowing the people from all these places!  I am so proud to say that I have friends that are still in touch from all over!  I can't say they are the locals because they are not.  These people are the ones I met on the bus, hotel, trail, etc..ok, ok the bars too...  Deep inside I hoped I would have stayed in Thailand for 3 months!  I realized that being in these cities all over the world, that you do not learn anything different.  It's pretty much the same when reading about it from "Lonely Planet"--except you have photos to prove you were there..

So doesn't this just tell you that people move from one place to another because they want to meet new people?  In the past only the elitist traveled..we all know that, that is not true!  All walks of life travel and there is always a way, as long as you prioritize!  So...moving and traveling whether you move from Nob Hill to North Beach or from Hong Kong to Denver...let's ask ourselves the reason?  I'll stick to "It's all about meeting new people and extending your network!"  It's fun! It's exciting!  It's an ongoing learning experience!

Here's a common expression.....location, location, location!  Yeah...but come on...good location attracts "good" people!  So here...to be honest, my next move will have cool people..and guess what,  I bet you the location will be awesome!!!

1 comment:

  1. Traveling adds character, It's not good to live in only one place within a lifetime, travel so that you don't grow up stupid about the rest of the world. I've heard these said over and over again. To your point travel is different from moving (or relocating). When I travel for vacation, the destination is purely of my choice. Reading a travel guide book beforehand gains me time to enjoy the new sights and sounds before me although a lot of local interaction can be had by simply getting lost and asking for directions. When I travel for work, it may not necessarily be to a destination I had been looking forward to reaching and so an open mind and heart helps to satisfy the business agenda and minimizes the usual incoveniences and stress that comes with being in another space. Contact with locals also tend to be more universal in scope and conversations (we all work for a living, right?) I cope by finding commonalities between me and the next person. I have been lucky as I only have needed to relocate for jobs I choose to accept. The destination may be cool or uncool (it's in the eye of the beholder) but it helps to find yourself, wherever the circumstances take you.

    ReplyDelete