Friday, January 15, 2010

An Increase in Non-Profit Organizations ...

Posted by C.Worring

There seems to be a substantial increase in  non-profit organizations world wide.   I got a hold of  a Non-Profit Organization List and it looks like a PDR!!!! (Physician's Desk Reference)

Is it a reflection that the economy is just not getting any better that we as Americans have lost our hope that the economy will take more time to recover?  Or is it because it is so easy to start one?

I spoke to my dear friend, an Accountant in Texas, to list for me what I would need to start a non-profit organization.  Since I am in California, not in Texas --below lists 12 things you need to do to start one in the state of California:


  1. Create a program plan.
  2. Determine whether the project is really needed.
  3. Look for an existing organization to adopt your project.
  4. Decide whether you really need to be a nonprofit.
  5. Determine the type of 501(c)(3) your organization should be.
  6. Decide whether or not you will be a membership organization.
  7. Write articles of incorporation and bylaws and file them with the Secretary of State.
  8. Conduct your first meeting.
  9. Seek nonprofit status from the federal government.
  10. After your federal exemption comes through, continue your application to the State.
  11. Become familiar with the annual forms your organization must file.
  12. Seek technical assistance and support.
It is not rocket science but...it is not that simple either.  So, then how do we know if it will work...do we do an analysis? Do a 2-3 year forecast by using some financial information from a similar non-profit?

What gives us the urge to start a non-profit organization...is it to just do it "because it will make a difference?" I've heard that it is also a "Calling" or for "Good Karma" and/or for the "Church"...  Here's a good one--I am a celebrity, and I need a tax deduction?

But don't get me wrong because I am sure it is at least one of the above...or some personal reason...or just mainly from the "heart."

Or is it really for profit...due to tax exemptions and such??  I wonder...???

At times like this, people are very concerned because they want to make sure their hard earned cash goes directly to the ones in need.  With our unemployment still rising, we literally count our pennies now...

So, what does it take to have a successful Non-Profit Organization?  If you ask me, I think it's pretty darn tough!  It is just like opening a business or having a business idea...it is never as easy as it looks...

Let's think about it?  Do you think our nation, or even the world would benefit with less non-profits?  I can see non-profit organizations all coming together to decrease administration costs...but will it work?

Well financial organizations, airlines, a lot of major corporations are merging!  I wouldn't be surprised if
Special Olympics and the March of Dimes merge.

Just a thought....a simple thought...but does it all make sense??





2 comments:

  1. I have been following your posts and think it's admirable what you are trying to do here. Keep up the good work and keep reminding us that it takes the effort of each of us to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the support! It's unanswered questions, curiosity and effort that will keep it going... keep reading

    ReplyDelete